Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10 - Waiting for Godot



Tonight was my first theatre outing. I went to see Waiting For Godot at the Roundabout Theatre. The production starred Bill Irwin, Nathan Lane, John Goodman and John Glover. I was highly impressed by Bill Irwin as Vladimir. What a tremendous performer. He dominated the stage against Nathan Lane which I though would be impossible. As impressed as I was with Irwin's performance I was all the more disappointed by John Goodman. He brought nothing to the role of Pozzo. The true outstanding performer was John Glover as Lucky. What a versatile and powerful performance. Consistent in character, totally in the moment, it was easy to see why he was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play.

The adaptation/translation of Beckett's text was interesting. It has been a while since I read it but this approach seemed to focus on religion much more with significant Christian references.

I had great seats. The set by Santo Loquasto was impressive and more representational that I expected. The only problem (besides Goodman's performance) was the subway rumbling constantly in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment